Peter Obi Challenges Buhari to Name Boko Haram Sponsors, Those Behind Oil Theft

 

Alt: = "Peter Obi"

Labour Party Presidential candidate, Peter Obi has challenged the President Muhammadu Buhari’s led federal government to publicly name “highly placed” individuals allegedly financing the Boko Haram terrorism, and those behind crude oil theft in the Niger Delta.

Obi said this on Wednesday in series of tweets on his Twitter handle @PeterObi.

“I am struck and intrigued by the news report linking “highly placed” Nigerians to oil theft. The same has been the case with financing insurgency and Boko Haram.

“When will FGN summon the political will to publicly name such persons?” Obi queried.

Peter Obi further stated in his tweet  that it was important to draw the attention of the federal government to the menace to ensure there were no ‘sacred cows’, especially in the fight against insurgency in the country. 

“In the National Interest, there should be no sacred cows,” Mr Obi wrote further. 

Labour Party presidential candidate’s call followed the federal government’s claim in February that it uncovered at least 96 financiers of terrorism and their supporters through the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU). 

Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, who announced it said the government also unmasked 123 companies and 33 Bureau de Change operators involved in the terrorism financing in the country.

The Minister further explained that the NFIU had intelligence exchanges on Boko Haram, ISWAP, banditry, kidnapping, and others with 19 countries.

He said: “For its part, the analysis by the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit, in 2020-2021, revealed 96 financiers of terrorism in Nigeria, 424 associates/supporters of the financiers, involvement of about 123 companies and 33 Bureaux de Change.”

Mr Muhammed failed to name the alleged sponsors 

Minister of Justice and Attorney General Federal, Abubakar Malami, in October 2021, swiftly named the alleged financiers of Yoruba activist, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho.

Earlier this month, the federal government declared a “national emergency” over massive pilfering of the country’s crude.

The Minister of State on Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylvia alleged that Nigeria loses 400,000 barrels of crude oil per day to theft.

Nigeria National Petroleum Company, NNPC this week alleged that churches and mosques are aiding and abetting oil theft as some stolen oil are often traced to churches and mosques.

Concerning the ongoing strike by university lecturers, LP presidential candidate expressed hope that the ASUU strike would be called off soon with the decision of the governors to intervene. 

“It’s gratifying that our governors have undertaken to mediate on the lingering ASUU strike,” he stated. “This is propitious and a remarkable show of leadership. Hopefully, such direct constructive engagement will bring this strike to an end soonest.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post